Movies Like Save The Last Dance On Netflix: 8 Must-Watch Picks
Are you a fan of Save The Last Dance? This iconic dance movie, released in 2001, captured the hearts of millions with its powerful story, incredible dancing, and memorable soundtrack. If you’re craving more films that blend dance, drama, and romance, look no further. Netflix has a fantastic selection of movies that will keep you entertained and inspired. In this article, we’ll explore eight movies like Save The Last Dance available on Netflix, along with some interesting facts about each film.
1. Honey (2003)
Starring Jessica Alba, Honey tells the story of a young woman who dreams of becoming a famous choreographer. Through her passion and determination, she finds herself in the spotlight. This movie features impressive dance sequences and an inspiring message about following your dreams.
2. Step Up (2006)
Step Up is the first installment of a successful franchise that has captivated audiences worldwide. Starring Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan, this film follows the story of a rebellious street dancer who forms an unlikely partnership with a classically trained ballerina. Step Up combines breathtaking choreography with a heartfelt love story.
3. Stomp the Yard (2007)
Stomp the Yard explores the world of competitive stepping, a form of dance that originated in African-American fraternities. The movie follows a troubled teenager who finds solace and purpose through stepping. With electrifying dance scenes and a compelling narrative, this film is a must-watch for dance enthusiasts.
4. StreetDance 3D (2010)
StreetDance 3D takes audiences into the world of street dancing and showcases an incredible fusion of different dance styles. When a ballet school and a street dance crew are forced to collaborate, they learn to appreciate each other’s talents and create something truly extraordinary. This British film offers a fresh perspective on dance and features some mind-blowing routines.
5. Footloose (2011)
A remake of the beloved 1984 classic, Footloose tells the story of a small town where dancing is banned. Ren, played by Kenny Wormald, arrives in town and challenges the status quo, inspiring the community to embrace the joy of dance once again. This film boasts energetic dance sequences and a powerful soundtrack that will have you tapping your feet.
6. Make Your Move (2013)
Make Your Move brings together two worlds – ballroom dance and underground street dance. Starring Derek Hough and BoA, this film tells the passionate love story between two dancers from different backgrounds. With stunning choreography and a diverse soundtrack, Make Your Move is a visually captivating and emotionally charged film.
7. High Strung (2016)
High Strung follows the story of a classically trained dancer and a hip-hop violinist who form an unlikely partnership to win a prestigious dance competition. This film combines stunning ballet performances with modern dance styles, creating a unique and exhilarating viewing experience.
8. Feel the Beat (2020)
Feel the Beat is a heartwarming film that centers around a talented Broadway dancer who returns to her small hometown to train a group of young misfit dancers for a major competition. This family-friendly movie is filled with energetic dance routines and a beautiful message about finding your passion and embracing teamwork.
Now that we’ve explored some movies like Save The Last Dance available on Netflix, let’s dive into some interesting facts about these films:
1. Honey was inspired by the life of choreographer Laurieann Gibson, who worked with artists like Lady Gaga and Beyoncé.
2. Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan, the stars of Step Up, met and fell in love during filming. They later got married in 2009 and divorced in 2019.
3. Stomp the Yard was based on the true story of the stepping competitions that take place among African-American fraternities and sororities.
4. StreetDance 3D was the first British film to feature 3D dance sequences.
5. Footloose was banned in some communities when it was originally released due to its portrayal of rebellious youth and the influence of rock music.
6. Make Your Move marks BoA’s acting debut. She is a renowned K-pop star and one of the most successful artists in South Korea.
7. High Strung features performances from world-class dancers, including ballerina Keenan Kampa, a former principal dancer with the Mariinsky Ballet.
8. Feel the Beat was directed by Elissa Down, who is known for her work on the critically acclaimed film The Black Balloon.
Now, let’s address some common questions about these movies:
1. Are these movies suitable for all ages?
Most of these movies are family-friendly, but some may contain mild language or suggestive content. It’s always a good idea to check the rating or read reviews before watching with younger viewers.
2. Can I watch these movies if I’m not a dancer?
Absolutely! While these films celebrate dance, they also offer compelling stories and captivating performances that anyone can enjoy.
3. Are these movies available in all regions?
Netflix’s content varies depending on your location. However, most of these films are widely available on the platform.
4. Are there any sequels to these movies?
Yes, several of these films have sequels, including Step Up, Honey, and StreetDance. You can find them on Netflix or other streaming platforms.
5. Do I need to watch the movies in a specific order?
No, each film has its own unique story, so you can watch them in any order you prefer.
6. Are there any other dance movies on Netflix?
Yes, Netflix offers a wide range of dance movies, including Dirty Dancing, Center Stage, and Black Swan.
7. Can I find documentaries about dance on Netflix?
Yes, Netflix has an extensive collection of dance documentaries, such as Ballet 422, First Position, and Joffrey: Mavericks of American Dance.
8. Are there any Bollywood dance movies available on Netflix?
Yes, Netflix has a selection of Bollywood dance movies, including ABCD: Any Body Can Dance and Dilwale.
9. Do these movies have uplifting messages?
Yes, most of these films promote themes of perseverance, following your dreams, and the power of self-expression.
10. Are the dance routines in these movies choreographed by professionals?
Yes, these films feature choreography by renowned dance professionals who have worked with top artists and companies.
11. Can these movies inspire me to start dancing?
Absolutely! The passion and talent showcased in these movies can ignite a desire to explore dance and express yourself through movement.
12. Are there any famous songs in these movies?
Yes, many of these films feature popular songs that have become synonymous with their respective dance scenes. The soundtracks are often a treat for music lovers.
13. Are these movies based on true stories?
While some movies, like Stomp the Yard, draw inspiration from real-life events, others are fictional. However, they all capture the essence and spirit of dance.
14. Are there any dance competitions in these movies?
Yes, several of these films revolve around dance competitions, showcasing the intense training, dedication, and talent required to excel in the dance world.
15. Can I learn dance moves from these movies?
Absolutely! These films offer a wealth of dance inspiration and choreography that you can learn and incorporate into your own routines.
16. Do these movies explore different dance styles?
Yes, these films feature a variety of dance styles, including ballet, hip-hop, street dance, contemporary, and more. They showcase the diversity and creativity of the dance world.
17. Are these movies only for dance enthusiasts?
While dance enthusiasts will undoubtedly appreciate these films, they are also enjoyable for those who appreciate captivating storytelling, memorable characters, and stunning visual performances.
In conclusion, Netflix offers a fantastic selection of movies like Save The Last Dance that will satisfy your craving for dance, drama, and romance. Whether you’re a dancer or simply a lover of great storytelling, these films will captivate and inspire you. From the catchy dance routines to the powerful messages they convey, these movies have something for everyone. So, grab some popcorn, clear some space, and get ready to be swept away by the magic of dance.
Movies like Save The Last Dance provide a wonderful escape into the world of dance, offering a blend of passion, talent, and heartfelt storytelling. From the energetic street dancing in Step Up to the inspiring journey of self-discovery in Honey, each film on this list has its own unique charm. Whether you’re a fan of ballet, hip-hop, or contemporary dance, these movies showcase a diverse range of styles and offer a glimpse into the dedication and artistry of dancers. So, if you’re looking for a movie night that will leave you feeling inspired and uplifted, these films are a perfect choice.