Flowers in the Attic: A Captivating Tale on the Silver Screen
In the realm of psychological thrillers, “Flowers in the Attic” has secured its place as a timeless classic. Originally a novel by V.C. Andrews, this gripping story has been adapted into a series of movies that have captivated audiences over the years. From the initial release in 1987 to the most recent adaptation in 2014, this article will delve into the chronology of the “Flowers in the Attic” movies, along with some interesting facts that will leave you intrigued.
1. “Flowers in the Attic” (1987): The first film adaptation of the novel, this movie was directed by Jeffrey Bloom and starred Louise Fletcher and Victoria Tennant. It premiered on November 20, 1987, and received mixed reviews from critics. Despite the polarizing opinions, it managed to gain a significant cult following.
2. “Petals on the Wind” (2014): The sequel to the original film, “Petals on the Wind” hit the screens on May 26, 2014. Directed by Karen Moncrieff, this movie continued the story of the Dollanganger family. Kiernan Shipka, Heather Graham, and Ellen Burstyn were among the talented cast members who brought the characters to life.
3. “If There Be Thorns” (2015): Released on April 5, 2015, “If There Be Thorns” is the third installment in the “Flowers in the Attic” series. Directed by Nancy Savoca, it followed the story of the Dollanganger family, but with a time jump. The film received a more positive response compared to its predecessors.
4. “Seeds of Yesterday” (2015): This fourth movie in the series, directed by Shawn Ku, aired on April 12, 2015. Continuing the tale of the Dollanganger family, “Seeds of Yesterday” delves into the complex relationships and secrets that have haunted them throughout their lives.
5. “Flowers in the Attic” (2023): Set to be released in 2023, this upcoming adaptation is generating significant buzz among fans of the franchise. Directed by a yet-to-be-announced director, this movie aims to bring a fresh perspective to the haunting tale of the Dollanganger family.
Now, let’s explore some interesting facts about the “Flowers in the Attic” movies:
1. Author V.C. Andrews: V.C. Andrews, the author of the original novel, wrote “Flowers in the Attic” as her debut work. Unfortunately, she passed away in 1986, a year before the release of the first film adaptation.
2. A Lifetime Original Movie Series: The three sequels to the original “Flowers in the Attic” movie were all produced by Lifetime Television, known for its captivating and often controversial dramas.
3. Kiernan Shipka’s Breakthrough Role: Kiernan Shipka, who portrayed the character of Cathy Dollanganger in the 2014 adaptation, gained recognition for her exceptional performance. This role served as a launching pad for her successful career, including her acclaimed portrayal of Sabrina Spellman in the TV series “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.”
4. A Loyal Fanbase: The “Flowers in the Attic” movies have amassed a loyal following over the years. Fans appreciate the dark and twisted nature of the story, as well as the complex characters portrayed on screen.
5. Controversial Themes: The “Flowers in the Attic” movies have often been criticized for their controversial themes, including incest and child abuse. These themes, however uncomfortable, are integral to the story and serve to highlight the psychological turmoil faced by the characters.
Now, let’s address some common questions about the “Flowers in the Attic” movies:
1. How old do you have to be to watch the “Flowers in the Attic” movies?
The movies are rated PG-13, so parental guidance is advised for viewers under the age of 13.
2. What is the height and weight of the main characters?
The height and weight of the characters vary based on the actors portraying them, so there is no specific measurement.
3. Who is the spouse of author V.C. Andrews?
V.C. Andrews was married to Robert B. Andrews until her death.
4. Will the upcoming “Flowers in the Attic” movie follow the same storyline as the previous adaptations?
While the exact details of the upcoming movie are yet to be revealed, it is expected to encompass the core storyline of the original novel.
5. Are there any plans for future movies or TV series based on the “Flowers in the Attic” series?
As of now, there have been no official announcements regarding future adaptations of the “Flowers in the Attic” series.
6. Are the movies faithful to the original novel?
While the movies capture the essence of the novel, certain changes and adaptations have been made to accommodate the visual medium and time constraints.
7. How can I watch the “Flowers in the Attic” movies?
The movies are available on various streaming platforms and can also be purchased or rented on DVD or Blu-ray.
8. Did the author provide any input during the movie adaptations?
As V.C. Andrews passed away before the release of the first film, she did not have direct involvement in the adaptations. However, her original work served as the foundation for the movies.
9. Are the movies suitable for someone who hasn’t read the book?
Yes, the movies can be enjoyed without prior knowledge of the book. They provide a comprehensive narrative that allows viewers to understand the story.
10. Are the movies scary or more of a psychological thriller?
The movies lean more toward psychological thriller, exploring the twisted dynamics within the Dollanganger family.
11. Are the movies suitable for sensitive viewers?
Due to the dark and distressing themes, the movies may not be suitable for sensitive viewers or those who are easily disturbed.
12. Can I watch the movies out of order?
While it is recommended to watch the movies in sequential order, each film can be enjoyed independently as well.
13. Are the movies based on a true story?
No, the “Flowers in the Attic” movies are works of fiction and not based on a true story.
14. Can I expect a satisfying conclusion to the series through the movies?
The movies provide a conclusion to the Dollanganger family’s story, offering a sense of resolution for viewers. However, it is always recommended to read the original novel to fully immerse yourself in the world of “Flowers in the Attic.”
As we eagerly await the release of the upcoming “Flowers in the Attic” movie in 2023, let us remember that this haunting tale has left an indelible mark on the world of psychological thrillers. Whether you’re a devoted fan or a newcomer to the series, these movies promise an enthralling experience that will keep you on the edge of your seat.